Monday, July 7, 2008

Solstice Ride? Hmm....


Even in the most artificial of concrete jungles, I still feel a connection to the natural world when I'm on my bike...so when I was listening to a recent episode of The Bike Show on Resonance FM podcast and heard about a ride from London to Stonehenge that arrived in time for the Summer Solstice sunrise...well, inspiration hit.

I dunno where I'd ride, but an endorphin buzz seems like as a good a way as any to celebrate the Solstice...or Equinox, for that matter.

Ride through the night on Summer Solstice, ride through the day on the Winter Solstice. Either way, it'd be a little less than 10 hours of riding- enough for an easy English Century. Seems like it would only be appropriate to ride a circuit...

Dunno where I'd ride, but if you're interested, let me know...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's the off chance that we could be good friends. There's an even better chance that I would do a 100 mile bike ride on December 21st 2008.

I'm Casey Turner. A cyclist, husband, aspiring doctor, and provisional renaissance man.

I agree that circuits are the best for rides that long. But I'd also say that for a ride of significance it may be fun and interesting to develop a list of destinations to connect. I like the story that goes, "and on the winter solstice we rode here and here and here and it wound up being 1XX miles." Not that I'm suggesting a ride should be destination oriented rather than journey oriented. just an idea.

Unknown said...

I'd prefer to ride towards a destination, too- say, Norfolk to Smithfield or Hampton to...somewhere past Williamsburg.