Friday, November 16, 2007

Bike Friendly Norfolk

So I half-stumbled into leading a Bike Commuting Workshop at the Fair Trade Festival next month in downtown Norfolk, and found myself asking newbie commuters, "What would you want to learn? What do you need to know in order to commute confidently?"

Yes, everyone needs to know how to ride predictably in order to be able to safely share the road with cars, but time and again I was asked about safe bike routes around Norfolk.

So folks, I present the Bike Friendly Norfolk Map:


As I said, this is the beta version. There's still a fair bit of tweaking that needs to be done on the map to make it more user-friendly. If you've got suggestions on routes & such, please let me know. We'll have the final version ready for the Fair Trade Fest, Saturday, December 1st. The Bike Commuting Workshop will be from 11-1.

I also created an online version of the Bike Friendly Norfolk Map on wayfaring.com. However wayfaring.com doesn't allow for selecting route colors, so it's more difficult to convey road information. But if anybody out there is web-savvy enough to do that sort of stuff, let me know...

1 comment:

Marco said...

Wes! This map is awesome and you helped me figure out what looks to be a relatively safe route to and from work at the Naval base. If this works out I owe you one!