Friday, October 5, 2007

Utility Bikes

Just a random sweep of what I've been reading today-

First off, there's an awesome little magazine out of Bozeman, Montana (of all places) by the name of The Practical Pedal. They bill themselves as "The Journal of Practical Bicycling." And fittingly they had advertising for bakfiets, those awesome Dutch utility bikes ("the minivan of bicycles.") Not only can you download the PDF of the latest issue for free, but subscription is free, too!






I guess I know I've passed into middle age when not only is my hairline receding, but the exotic European models I lust after are...utility bikes. Bakfiets are just darn cool, and they're coming to this side of the pond! I'm hoping I might get my hands on one for a test ride...




And then there's this little gem of a blog:
Copenhagen Girls on Bikes.
Oh...Oh, yeah...
There's just something about a thigh-high, stilleto-heeled boot braced onthe pedal of a be-fendered city bike.


Finally, Issue 131 of Dirt Rag is now on the newsstands, and is, as always, worth reading from cover to cover.

3 comments:

Liz Schleeper said...

That Copenhagen blog is great. I just now watched the Critical Mass video. Very well done. Looking forward to October's edition.

Colville-Andersen said...

The Copenhagen blog has a sister blog - http://Cycleliciousness.blogspot.com - where there are fewer cycling maidens but heaps of inspiration for bike advocacy.
Yours is a groovetastic blog. Glad I found it.

ackack said...

models I lust after are...utility bikes. Bakfiets are just darn cool, and...

not to be a bother, but bakfiets is singular. the plural in Dutch would be bakfietsen. In english dunno.

daniel